Friday 10 May 2013

De-Goo U (Homemade Goo Gone)

Today's post is one that I just need to get out of the way.  One of the first steps for using these baby food jars for storage, is getting rid of the goo left behind by the label.


It is tedious, but it's necessary.  So...here goes....

First...you'll need to make a bit of home made goo gone. Now, when it comes to mixing this stuff up, I was a little bit like Goldilocks. The first mixture was tooooo oily.  The second mixture was toooooo grainy.  The third mixture was juuuuust right. Here's what you'll need:

 I used two tablespoons baking soda (that's bicarbonate of soda to any U.K. readers), one tablespoon baking POWDER, and about 1.5 tablespoon vegetable oil. Let me explain the baking powder.....I put it in by accident thinking it was baking soda....but it made the goo gone work SO much faster!  I couldn't tell you why. I can tell you that the next time I need to use this , I'll purposely throw a little baking powder in the mixture.

I used my fingers to work the mixture into the annoying goo until it started to come loose.  Once you feel the goo loosening, you can use a scourer to help scrub the jar until you've gotten all of the it off.  Here's the carnage from the "de-goo"ing process:


After this, wash the jar with warm soapy water to get rid of the "goo gone". Then, I also ran the jars through the dishwasher to get rid of any oil that was still on the surface.

And then, I had perfectly clean, clear jars that were ready to be upcycled into something useful!

5 stars to anyone who can guess where I store the homemade goo gone.  (If you guessed "baby food jar"...give yourself 5 stars).

Have you experimented with making your own goo gone at home?  What was your perfect mixture?

I'm sharing this project at:  Give me the Goods and I Heart Organizing

8 comments:

  1. Hello from IHeart Organizing's link up! Please follow back if you have the chance. Have a great day :)

    Kristina
    http://www.yomichaelmichael.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also over from IHO! Love this idea-- I never have goo gone on hand when I need it, but I always have these ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use peanut butter for this and it works great! Just spread over the goo and let it sit for about 10 minutes to melt the goo, then wash with regular dish soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I never would have thought to use peanut butter as goo gone!

      Delete
  4. This is a great tip!! Thank you! I always need goo gone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...