Wednesday 11 September 2013

Autumn Wreath: 3 Different Ways

"To craft or to hibernate?" That is the question....

There is an autumn chill in the air.  I don't know what it is about this time of year, but I really just want to take naps, and bake.  {The baking probably has something to do with the need to store up fat for winter. ;) } I was day dreaming about taking a nap when I got a text from a friend about making a wreath. I knew I should immediately abandon my nap time plans and get on that bandwagon.  

So, we headed over to another friend's house, and the three of us got to work making out wreaths.  They are all different, but I really love the way all three of them turned out!

From left to right, the wreaths were made by Jess, me, and Heather.
Now, let's talk through the basics of our three wreaths.

 First up: Jess!  

Her supplies:
  • foam wreath
  • burlap 
  •  felt & fabric flowers (which she made...she is the bomb!), 
  • little pine cones
  • pins
  • hot glue gun
Her Method:
  1. Cut the burlap into strips and wrap it around the foam wreath, securing with pins as needed.
  2. Make flowers, and secure flowers using hot glue.
  3. Secure pine cones with hot glue
  4. Hang wreath with white fabric
Next up: Me

My supplies:
  • wire wreath
  • old Ikea curtain panel
  • flowers (from an old headband)
  • wooden W
  • hot glue gun
  • white fabric to hang
  • 1 thumb tack
My Method:
  1. Cut the curtain panel into strips about 6" wide as needed.
  2. Secure the end of the strip on an inner wire, and push small "bubbles" of fabric between the wires, bunching and wrapping as you go. (I promise this is way simpler than it sounds!)
  3. Wrap the fabric for hanging the wreath in the desired location, and cut a small slit in the fabric on the inside of the wreath.
  4. Using another piece of fabric, push one end through the hole, over the top of the wreath, and back down through the hole.  
  5. Secure both ends of the fabric to the back of the wooden letter using a thumb tack or nail.
  6. Attach flower embellishments using hot glue, and hang.
Last but not least: Heather!

Heather's supplies:
  • The matte from a 10"x12" picture frame (genius!)
  • Burlap
  • Purple/White fabric
  • Purple/Pearl Embellishments
  • Pine cones
  • Twine
  • Hot glue gun
Her Method:
  1. Cut burlap into strips and wrap around the matte, securing the ends with the hot glue
  2. Add flower/pine cone/pearl embellishments and secure with hot glue. 
  3. In a looping pattern, secure twine around the flowers and pine cones.
  4. Hang with purple fabric.

I couldn't believe how quickly we made these beautiful wreaths!  There was even a 14 month old, and a 4 month old to contend with! That could have something to do with Heather's living room looking like this when we were finished:
 Oops!  Totally worth it.  Although, I guess I'm not the one who had to vacuum. ;)

Have you made an autumn wreath yet?  Or did you like to hibernate instead of using valuable energy on crafts?

P,S. Make sure you head over to Pretty Organized for some Autumn organizing tips from me and the rest of the team!

I'm linking this post to: Get Your DIY On , Remodelaholic & Link Party Palooza via I Heart Naptime.

5 comments:

  1. These are lovely Beth! Love me some burlap! And so smart of you to cut up that curtain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin! Crafting with friends is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - love how the crafting sometimes makes everything else fall apart:) I LOVE your wreaths - and would be super thrilled if you were willing to share this at the Fall Get Your DIY On Link Party: Fall Wreaths going on right now on five blogs! I would love to invite you over to the happy housie to link up if you haven't already done so! Hope to see you there!!
    ~Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting together with gals to do crafts, it's so much fun! You girls did an awesome job! Thank you so much for linking up your fall inspired wreath Get Your DIY On. I hope you'll join us tomorrow with your thrifty upcycle to link up!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...