Monday 5 August 2013

No Cream for Me

Every once in a while, we make important self discoverys.  Recently, I made one of my own.  I hate don't love the colour cream.  I mean....I really hate don't love it. Give me beige.  Give me taupe.  No cream for me, thanks. (If you looooove cream, stop reading now. There may or may not be some trash talk happening.) 

There is a reason that cream also goes by pseudonym "off white"....Because it's white, but there's something just a little "off" about it.  It's like...an inbred cousin of white and yellow....it's not quite all there....ya know what I'm sayin'?

 Okay Okay....it's not that bad...My main issue is that it just never looks fully clean to me. 

 I would like to highlight at this point, that there are a lot of people with really beautiful, warm, welcoming homes that are decorated with cream-- cream cabinets, cream walls, etc.  For a while, I I was convinced that white just "didn't go" in our house.  As it turns out, cream isn't for me....and white can really look great a lot of the features of our home. Cream just isn't really my style!

For instance, we have a pair of wardrobes that were both cream, but I decided to change that...
 See what I did there?  Taking a picture in dark, dingy light so that it makes the wardrobe look even dirtier? {This photography method is called "remember to take a 'before' picture at 9 PM when it is dark and Jim has already started taking stuff apart", and is particularly useful for making "after" pictures look extra awesome...}

  When we got these two wardrobes, it was obvious they hadn't had any sort of clean in quite a while.  since they came from an older family friend. So, I set about wiping ....and wiping...and scrubbing and wiping.  Lo and behold, they still looked dirty.  And then it dawned on me.  Cream.  I really liked the shape, and the detail around the edges of the doors, so I definitely wanted to use them. So I thought...why not just paint them?? I could paint them WHITE! This may not seem very revolutionary, but I could practically hear the angels singing Handel's Messiah.

HAAAAAlelujah! HAAAAAlelujah! HaleeeEEEEElujah!

And, here's a little look inside:

On the outside: I (obviously) painted them white. I also got rid of the decal things on the top of the doors.  Then, I added some blingin' handles!



 Who wants another peak inside?  Okay....if you insist. (I'm actually trying not to jump up and down right now with excitement over the pure happiness that lies within these wardrobes).



 On the inside, I painted them white as well.  I just wanted to freshen them up from the inside out.  So, I added some gorgeous, yellow shelf liners from The Macbeth Collection, and also some subtle grey/white patterned wallpaper on the inside of the doors. (This was to avoid having to paint both sides of the doors.  I was not about to do that.) The combination of grey, white, and yellow looks super pretty!
 
I LOVE them.  They have been hangin out in the guest room, but remember that master bedroom makeover we're doing? I'm totally taking these beauties into our room so I can see that happy yellow every. single. day.  That's why there's nothing in them yet.


I can't finish this post without giving a shout out to Jim, and my mom and dad!  Having never re-finished furniture before, this project was a bit more than I bargained for, and I wouldn't have completed it with my sanity in tact if it wasn't for their help.

Have you attempted any major furniture overhauls like this?  What was your favourite/least favourite part?

I'm linking this post to Remodelaholic, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Show and Tell Wednesdays, Tasteful TuesdaysMade by You Monday , I Heart Organizing and  Give me the Goods

14 comments:

  1. I agree! Your wardrobe looks so fresh and clean in white! And love the shelf lining!! Nice touch!
    Found you on Give Me The Goods Monday and started following you on Bloglovin and GFC!! Can't wait to see what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selene! We've got most of the painting done in the bedroom now, so I should have an update later on this week! Can't wait to get these wardrobes in there and stocked up in all of their yellow/white happiness!

      Thanks again for stopping by/following! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the color choice you made. White with the shelf lining works perfect together. We would love it if you would link up at our first linky party this Wednesday :
    http://thekoenigscreate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. LOL! I am not alone. I say the exact same thing about cream color. Argh! I like things a crisp white. No dingy whites. This includes clothing.

    Anyway, beautiful makeover. Both look crisp and stand out. I can tell you are having fun decorating the master bedroom. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I'm having fun...but having trouble sticking to the budget! ;)

      Delete
  4. ahh so refreshing! what a lovely space to store your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo! This is stunning. SO much better! And so fresh!

    Nicely done.

    Annie XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVEEE!!! Ken laughs at me because I also want to paint everything white :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the yellow liners. And I agree with you on cream looking dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, wow, WOW! the inside looks SOOO much better :o) You've been featured from the Tasteful Tuesday party at Nap-Time Creations! Stop by and check out all the home decor features. I'd love for you to grab a featured button or share on your favorite social media! :o) Thanks and Happy Weekend. Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the feature, Emily! And thanks for hosting such a fab party each week! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...