Friday 26 July 2013

Porridge {Featured Blogger}

My friend Dawn has an incredible talent for making seriously awesome food.  Luckily for you and me, she shares her incredible recipes on her blog, Porridge!  Today, Dawn is stopping by to share a recipe inspired by a dish we had in the Yucatan Peninsula about 7 years ago.... Are you ready for a fiesta in your mouth? I hope so....because this is happening.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------
About 7 years ago I went on a trip to the Yucatan, the South of Mexico. I went with the students of Timberline Lodge, which is a small Christian school in Winter Park Colorado. We stayed with a family in a small village near Merida. We were there to help build an orphanage in a local village nearby. Every day our host family would make us lunch. One particular lunch was grilled chicken and rice with a creamy cilantro dressing. It was one of the best things I had ever eaten. I never forgot about that cilantro sauce, and it took me 7 years to even attempt to recreate it. It’s a pretty close match as far as I’m concerned. This dressing goes perfect in a salad or over chicken or salmon. It’s really good to dip tortilla chips in too!
{Source: Porridge}
Ingredients
1 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (you can use avocado instead of yogurt)
2 Tbl fresh lime juice
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 C olive oil
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until combined and creamy.
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks, Dawn!  It seemed like such a simple recipe, so I thought I'd try it out too. I served it with some baked fajita chicken/veggies, a sprinkling of cheese, on a bed of rice. It tasted like Mexico and awesome. 


Clearly, I could not be a food blogger, as my presentation leaves something to be desired.  But,like I said before: FIESTA IN YOUR MOUTH.  I used low fat Greek yogurt, and it still tasted great.  Though,  it would have been even more awesome with a plain, grilled chicken breast, and some simple roasted or stir fried veggies, since the flavour from the cilantro sauce packs plenty of flavour on its own.

By the way, I had some left to use as a salad dressing! Can you guess where it ended up?
Baby food jars for the win again!

I was so excited to feature this particular recipe, since that year at Timberline is when I met Jim! Also, we may or may not have had our first kiss on that trip to the Yucatan, but I guess you'll never know.

Are you guys going to try this sauce out?  Anyone out there have a killer Margarita recipe that would complete the fiesta?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...