Yesterday, my mom and dad had to leave to go back to America. : ( It was pretty emotional, but then I painted some stuff
Here's what I used:
- 2 x 10"x12" canvases (£3.99 each)
- 1 x pack of 360 drawing pins/thumb tacks (£1)
- 1/2 tester pot of "Tealtastic" paint (already had, but it was only £1)
1. 2 coats of paint on the canvases (yesterday)
2. Taped a piece of cardboard to the back of the canvas to give the thumbtacks something more to "grip"
2. Drew the words onto a piece of paper.
3. I put the paper on top of the canvas and lightly traced over the letters a few times, until the word was barely visible on the canvas like this...
I followed the basic advice given on the tutorial over at Things Bright, but then I also decided I wanted to give my thumb tack art a gold "studded" look....Think "Chesterfield sofas on canvas"....
So, £9, one nap time, and 360 thumb tacks later, I had two pretty good looking pieces of word art!
First: In case you were wondering, it says "dream". Just thought I should clarify, since Jim looked at it and went... "What does it say? Is that an 'S'?" If you can't read it either....I'm just gonna call it abstract art and move on.
Second: I know what you are thinking. Her studded lines are really crooked. I know, I know. I suck. Listen, I decided I wanted them studded at the last minute. I went all crazy on the first canvas, and I did it without measuring. There are "lines" in a canvas that you can follow, right? WRONG! On the plus side, I also did one that says "sleep", and the studded lines on that one turned out much better (promise!), but I forgot to take a picture. You'll have to take my word for it. I may redo the line on the right before I hang it, but my thumbs are sore... (Did I mention I used all THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY THUMBTACKS for both canvases?) So, for now it will just have to do.
In the mean time, if you squint a little, maybe the crooked lines won't bother you as much....
That's a little better, right?!
Another confession...in order to take the pictures, I just set up a little display on Elijah's window sill. I'm playing with the idea of
All joking and self deprecation aside, I'd say the end result is pretty dreamy.....crooked lines and all.
Do you guys do "word art"? What sort of things have you created?
I am link partying over at, Hookin Up with HOH, Tasteful Tuesdays and View Along the Way for the Ditto DIY challenge....head on over to check out some other great projects!