Pesto "cake". On a stick. With mozarella. And? You guessed it....basil! Watch out world! CAPRESE SALAD JUST GOT CRAZY!
Here's what you'll need:
|I was making a double batch- that's why there are two eggs shown here!|
50g self raising flower
5 teaspoons green pesto
1 medium egg, beaten
1 tablespoon plain greek yoghurt
Cake pop mold (or mini muffin tin)
1 package of fresh, mini mozarella cheese
1 pack of on the vine cherry tomatoes
1 small bunch of fresh basil
Remainder of green pesto
20 cake pop sticks
Makes 20 Caprese Pops!
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (375°F)
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the egg to the flour and mix.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients (salt, pepper, greek yoghurt, and pesto) and mix well
- Spoon the mixture into the cake pop mold
- Replace the lid, and bake for 16 minutes
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the mold.
- Cut the cake pops in half. (I'm no baking expert, so mine did not come out as perfect spheres. I discarded the wobbly top bit, and just used the pretty rounded bit from the bottom of the mould.)
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and set to one side to drain.
- Cut the mini mozarellas in half the same way you did with the pesto cake
- Assemble the Caprese Pops: Tomato first (on the bottom), then mozarella, then the dome shaped pesto "cake" on top....and voila! You now have Caprese POPS!
Are you into the whole "cake pop" craze?! What are your favourite cake pop recipes?